Pronouncing Korean can be difficult given the many exceptions to basic pronunciation rules. In many cases, words seemingly simple have a different pronunciation from their 한글 spelling. Below are listed the most common words that have a different pronunciation from their spelling. These common words were selected among words 1001-1500 from the book A Frequency Dictionary of Korean. This list will be updated with relevant pronunciation guides on KoniKorean when available.
Notes about the table:
- Rank corresponds to the rank in A Frequency Dictionary of Korean, from most common in the Korean language to least common.
- Pronunciation was extracted from the Naver Dictionary of Korean.
- Words with especially tricky pronunciation are in yellow rows.
- Meaning is presented for quick reference; many words have different meanings depending on context.
- The colon : indicates that the preceding syllable is a long one.
|← Cf. Part 1 for words 1-1000|
|1006||효과||효:과/효:꽈||effect*||While two pronunciations are technically correct,
효:꽈 is much more common.
|1053||며칠||며칠*||a few days||Different from 몇일 which is pronounced [멷일]|
|1086||조건||조껀||a condition||⚠️ Common mistake when first encountering this word.
Koreans will not understand the pronunciation [조건].
|1130||늙다||늑따||to get old||Conjugation: 늙어요 [늘거요]|
|1177||평가||평:까||evaluation||⚠️ Very common mistake.
Koreans will not understand the pronunciation [평가].
|1201-bis||빛이||비치||light (w/ subject particle)|
|1221||밝다||박따||to be bright||Conjugation: 밝아요 [발가요]|
|1232||넓다||널따||to be broad||Conjugation: 넓어요 [널버요]|
|1282||실제로||실쩨로||really (in reality)|
|1290||결정||결쩡||decision||⚠️ Very common mistake.|
|1307||짧다||짤따||to be short|
|1356||출신||출씬||to be from (a place)|
|1374||희다||히다||to be white|
|1399||실제||실쩨||reality, truth||Cf. #1282|
|→ cf. Part. 3 for words 1501-2000|
- When in doubt, use the Naver Korean Dictionary to confirm the pronunciation of a word. Especially useful for words of Chinese origins, such as 1290: 결정 pronounced [결쩡] instead of [결정 (X)].